According to the National Center for PTSD, here are some staggering statistics about domestic abuse and other types of partner abuse. Now these statistics were about 5 years ago, but I can only imagine that the statistics are higher now in 2014:
1. At least once in their lifetimes, 20-30% of American women are physically abused by a partner.
2. Each year, 1.3 million women and more than 800,000 men are physically assaulted by an intimate partner.
3. More than 200,000 women are raped by an intimate partner each year.
4. Of those in same-sex relationships, 11% of women and 23% of men are raped, otherwise physically assaulted, and/or stalked by an intimate partner.
5. More than 500,000 women & 185,000 men are stalked by an intimate partner each year.
6. Of all women's emergency-room visits, 30-40% are for injuries due to domestic violence.
7. Fifty percent of men who assault their female partners also assault their children.
8. Each year, 3.3 million children witness acts of domestic violence.
This needs to change!
The Mayne Man