Monday, March 18, 2013

What Breaks The Heart of God (Part 3: The Partial Commission)


This post is dear to my heart because I know so many people want to know the Lord Jesus Christ, but they have scales over their eyes. These people are like Saul and are searching for an Ananias like us to lay hands over them and share the gospel. Here’s what’s interesting, they’re in our state, our city and in our backyard.

Now, I don’t want to bash any mission ministry in churches. I applaud missions, and I have a heart for missions. I think the focus of missions has been misguided in some churches today (where we’re fulfilling the Partial Commission and not the Great Commission). What am I talking about? Either one of two things are the focal points when missions are talked about:
  1. Talk to your next door neighbor to bring them to church
  2. We’re going to share the gospel of Jesus, but it’s going to be in different countries

Jesus (when speaking to His disciples) said in Matthew 28:19-20: Go, then to all peoples EVERYWHERE and make them my disciples: baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and teach them to obey everything I have commanded you. And I will be with you always, to the end of the age.

To me, everywhere includes going to people in your backyard as well as different cities, states, regions, and countries! I remember when I was a young Christian; some of us men went door to door in the city we lived in. It wasn’t to ask them to come to church; the focus was sharing the gospel, and also asking them if we could pray for them for whatever they needed. You don’t hear much about that anymore.

What created this blog was a sermon a heard a few weeks ago about this, and I thought about a conversation I had with a very good friend of mine. My friend was sharing about how churches in the area where she lives think. She said that the churches have a fire for God and sharing the gospel of Christ, but it’s in other countries. What breaks my friend’s heart (and it broke mine when she told me) is that there is a huge mission field in her area (in fact, more than 55% deny the deity of Christ and are worshiping a dead prophet). It’s been said that the churches in that region burn out in their mission work to those who deny the deity of Christ in that area; however, I have to pose a question that must be answered by us Bible-believing Christians: are we sharing the gospel on our own strength? If we are sold out for Christ and we are constantly in prayer, constantly fasting, constantly interceding for anyone who is outside the body of Christ, there’s no limit to what God can do if we would simply be obedient to the Great Commission.

So, if we have a heart for lost people, share the love of Christ to someone around you. As we continue to hang with our typical group of people enjoying our salvation and point fingers at those who are lost, dying and on their way to hell, we’re seriously breaking the heart of God when He loves those who are lost and wants them to know Him for who He really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment