Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Lost In The Wilderness



I initially started typing this near the end of 2011 when I was going my dark spell (in fact, part of ties directly into the epilogue of my novel Deaf, Dumb, Blind & Stupid). Of course, I had to stop working on this blog to deal with my issues and complete the novel. But now it’s time for me to pick this back up. Everything that’s in red is what I typed at the end of 2011 and 99% of it is kept in its original form.

The children of Israel in Numbers 13 & 14 were a perfect example of what it means to be lost in the wilderness. Instead of relying on God that they could take this land, they chose to have a pity party. In fact, they thought they could live on top of the world by going back to Egypt, so they said amongst themselves to choose a leader and then go back to Egypt. Joshua & Caleb were the only 2 out of the 12 spies that said that the children of Israel could take the land. And what do stubborn/selfish people do, they do what’s right in their own eyes (and they said to stone Joshua & Caleb with stones). As a result, God forced them to suffer in the wilderness for 40 years. But there was one problem; Joshua & Caleb were to also suffer because they were part of a team.

Now let’s define what wilderness means: it means barren area, or it could mean an uncomfortable situation (that makes somebody feel confused, overwhelmed or desolate). So, the children of Israel were to remain lost in the wilderness for 40 years and they would die. Now, let’s fast forward to today. Many people are lost in their personal wilderness and if we don’t minister to their needs, they could die there (but there could be blood on our hands if it was in our power to pull them out).

Our lack of sympathy for those who are hurting is going to cause a lot of casualties. I believe in the future that many will sacrifice their lives to save a soul and some will die in misery to their own selfishness. We need to stop focusing on health and finances for self-glorification and start caring for others. I’m sure if an issue attacked your home, you’d call your cousin and your family for prayer. This selfish spirit needs to go! In Acts, healings and miracles occurred when the church was on one accord. We need a shakedown! It’s sad that we can’t agree on what’s right and what’s wrong (example: is abortion a sin or not). Can two walk together except they be agreed? And we’re allowing the devil to create this division.

To say that the body of Christ is perfect, is called being blind to reality. We are sinful people and we’ll never be perfect. It’s our job to ensure that we push each other to holiness for the glory of God. To pick on people who nit-pick the problems within the church (especially if it’s legitimate – such as pastors sleeping with little boys), is defending sin. We can’t afford to be lost in the wilderness like the children of Israel.

2 Cor. 4:3-4 in summary says if the gospel is hid to those who are lost for the god of this world has blinded the minds of those who believe. I could plant a seed, but when 99% is swarmed in darkness, it's going to require more than a seed plant - the seed has to be watered with prayer and possibly fasting. These are tools that the Christian has, but are failing to utilize unless it's for our own loved one or for someone in their closed circle (that's fine, but what about expanding it as well). What about the lost people, we need to pray for them. Translation: we need to get out of the - what's in it for me prayer!
Part of the reason why we as a church get an F minus is because of selfishness and lack of togetherness. I pray this for me, me, me and this is why we're losing its effectiveness in the world. People don't need to remain lost in the wilderness to end up going to the lake of fire with the help of the church.

If the church can’t come together on one accord, what chance does the world have? If the leaders within a church can’t come together on one accord, what chance does the sheep have? If we don’t change and care about the things that matter to God; people are going to die with the help of the church. As a result, there will be a lot of blood on our hands. Maybe I should become selfish and focus on the needs of my family. We have forgotten within the book of Acts, healing and miracles occurred when people were on one accord, and one mind. I would like to believe that the apostles dropped everything to ensure they were on one accord. In other words, their lives were not their own. It was all about serving and not to be served. Christ came to serve and not be served. It’s a tragedy to even think that we can’t even do that. Our lives are for the glory of God and He doesn’t want anyone to perish. We can quote John 3:16 back and forth, and we should have a burning passion within us to not see anyone perish.

Someone needs to stand up and say “enough is enough. I can’t continue to leave in the ‘it’s all about me’ mentality.” Think about this: when we have a crisis in our lives or within our circle, we’ll stop what we’re doing and ask everyone we know for prayer. It’s a grave concern when we don’t think about someone we may not know who needs to experience the love of Christ. We don’t want to take the time to understand what’s going on in their lives. We’ll just shake our head and say “I’m sorry, I’ll pray for you.” We need to seek God and intercede for people in need of love, healing, etc. In order for us to make a major impact in the world, we can’t afford to stay in our comfort ones. Yes, we can encourage each other, but what about the lost sheep. I hope we don’t get so caught up on the 99 sheep that are found that the lost sheep stays lost and ends up lost forever. What’s the point of staying a Christian if we’re staying in our own bubble?

This is why the world doesn’t want to come to church. Why come to church and be divided when I can stay home and be divided?

In summary: the wilderness is not a fun place to be. Looking back between May 2011 and February 2012, I was in my personal wilderness and I’ll be the first to tell that it is not a fun place to be. I do thank those who stayed with me through it, and now that I’m out, I’m obligated to help somebody else out of their wilderness.

Blessings:

The Mayne Man

No comments:

Post a Comment