Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Author Spotlight (Barbara Joe Williams)

Today's spotlight is an author who really needs no introduction. She is the co-founder of the Tallahassee Author's Network and the founder of Amani Publishing, LLC. I did ask her three questions, and wait until you see her responses. With that said, show your love for Barbara Joe Williams.

Barbara Joe Williams is a freelance writer, independent publisher, and motivational speaker living in Tallahassee, Florida. She is a graduate of Tallahassee Community College and Florida A & M University. Barbara is also the founder of Amani Publishing, LLC (2004), and the co-founder of the Tallahassee Authors Network since September 2008.

She has published books for over twenty authors and seven for herself including: A Writer’s Guide to Publishing & Marketing, Moving the Furniture: 52 Ways to Keep Your Marriage Fresh, Courtney’s Collage (with Sherille Fisher), How I Met My Sweetheart (Anthology),  Falling for Lies, Dancing with Temptation, and Forgive Us This Day.

Website: http://www.barbarajoewilliams.com/

1. Can you tell us as to what caused you & fellow author Marilynn Griffith to start TAN?

Marilynn & I had been traveling together for two years trying to promote our books. We were tired and on our way home from a road trip when Marilynn suggested that we start meeting at the library every other month to discuss building something in Tallahassee. I agreed with her and suggested that we open it up to other authors. After that, we formed TAN as a means to bring all locally published authors, aspiring writers, and avid readers together in one venue to support one another.

2. Do you find that successful people are rarely selfish people?

Yes, it's very hard to be selfish and successful. For example, I experienced success on my own, but once I connected with Marilynn, my business expanded. And once we formed TAN, my business has expanded even further.

3. Continuing from the prior question, because in many communities, most groups have the mentality of "every man for himself," how did you manage to not have that atmosphere in TAN?

Marilynn and I have learned that we're more powerful together than we are as individuals, so that was something that we were able to bring to the organization. I'm not afraid to share what I've learned because I know that what God has for me is for me, and the more I share what I have, the more He'll give to me. So I believe it's my positive attitude that affects the atmosphere of TAN more than anything...

1 comment:

  1. Author N white says that is such an unshelfish way of living..God Bless You...

    ReplyDelete