Monday, March 7, 2011

How Can You Say You Love Me?

I decided to post this (even though I originally typed this May 2004 as an e-mail lesson)  because I was reflecting on my Middle School/High School life (and this lesson came to mind).  It's my prayer that this sets you free from whatever you're going through in your life or even your past. This phrase, "how can you say you love me?" isn't a new quote, in fact, it's found in Scripture (Judges 16 to be exact), but I'll address that in a moment.

I don't know if you're familiar with the story of Samson & Delilah (but I'm going to briefly recap it). Samson was a man of God and Delilah was from Sorek Valley. The Philistine kings wanted Delilah to find out what makes him strong so they can overpower him, tie him up & make him helpless (for 1,100 pieces of silver). 

Samson lied three times when Delilah asked what makes him strong, and then she says, "you're making a fool out of me."
You see, if Samson was smart, he should've smelled a rat if her only objective was to make him helpless. I'm sure for a man, if he really loves a woman he would fall into her power. Sisters, you have a lot of power (that's why they say, behind every successful man is a good woman). And I'm also sure that it works on the reverse side too. One more point, are you noticing that Delilah had only one objective for Samson (and that was to give up something that was very valuable)? What comes to mind as you relate this to everyday life? 

In the 15th verse of Judges 16, Delilah says, "How can you say you love me, when you don't mean it? You've made a fool of me three times, and you still haven't told me what makes you so strong."

She nagged and nagged, and eventually gave it. Now, how many of you were in middle school or high school (or maybe even your first 2 years in college) in the late 80s/early 90s?  This is really dedicated to you because I know you can testify to this: think back on your relationships (and it was predominantly the man pressuring the woman - your words say you love me, but your actions dictate otherwise - when they want something valuable from a woman). TV shows back then were also dealing with this topic. I see The Cosby Show plainly (when Sly was pressuring Pam to give in - or he would go to Sheniqua). Now I'm sure that many women can testify to this: when they've given themselves truly to the man they love, they ended up with their feelings hurt and the devil has overpowered them (and his demons are rejoicing). Just like the Lord stopped helping him, we lose the protection of God when we slip (no matter what the sin is). Stay put, there's a happy ending.

After the Philistines make a mockery of Samson, the Lord forgave him and granted Samson's request to die at their hands (and he would kill more of Philistines than he did in his lifetime).

No matter how far you may have gone, and no matter how many times the devil is trying to knock you off of your path, remember this one thing: the Lord will never leave you if you return to Him, forgiveness will always be there if you ask for it and confess your sin before Him. He is faithful and just to forgive you. Remember this: the devil's future is sealed, but you can decide where you go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment