Friday, March 14, 2014

The "Me" Gospel



I initially wanted to entitle this blogpost, “My, My, My;” but the more I thought about it, it’s better to just call it The “Me” Gospel. So, what am I talking about? This is where the gospel is twisted to focus it on you (giving you the right to be self-centered).

I dedicate this post to a few people that know me to type things like this – considering they would actually agree with me on this. I also dedicate this to those who have been abused (hope you can find refuge in one section of this post).

When you typically think about people who go to church, you would think they go to hear the word of God (regardless of whether the passage will cause a shout of praise or cause a season of repentance). But sadly, many go to hear a “feel-good” message that is self-centered. Some sayings come as: you can be blessed; you can receive health and wealth; you don’t have to tolerate people who don’t think like you; and the list goes on. Somewhere along the way, we lost the message of: “love your neighbor; if your brother is stumbling, help him; suffer with those who are suffering.”

There was a comment I made in my novel Deaf, Dumb, Blind & Stupid that went like this: “Why are we only sympathetic if OUR child has a mental disorder? On the contrary, if you know someone else whose child has a mental disorder, they need a beating. This is unfair, and reflects the worse part of human nature. If you know someone who is being abused, you need to let them know who to contact if they are being abused, especially when a parent sweeps it under the rug, and they don’t want to deal with it. If no one intervenes, the child could very well go on with their life through the abuse and then end up on drugs trying to cure whatever disorder he or she may have.”

The reason why we act the way we do is because we don’t want a gospel of serving others, we want a gospel that’s self-centered and that tickles our ears. If someone is hurting, it doesn’t affect ME so I’m not getting involved or I’ll step on you.
  1. I want the Bible where I can claim parts and receive things for ME and not for others (granted, many still feel their talents are just for them and not for others)
  2. I can make myself a god and speak my own reality (now that’s nothing short of new age mysticism) – adding to this: you can’t speak nothing if you’re not willing to put in the work (just my little side note)
  3. I want a gospel where from the pulpit, my ears can be pleased.

When we want a Me gospel, we fall into the trap of Jeremiah 5 (give us smooth things). And frankly, this is nothing short of idolatry when we want a gospel that caters to our ears and we treat believers and non-believers with contempt.

No comments:

Post a Comment